The Lloyd V. Berkner Travel Fellowship serves as a memorial to former AGU President Lloyd V. Berkner, who had a special interest in assisting and working with students and international colleagues. Today, the program provides support to Earth and space scientists in 88 countries including India, China, and Nigeria. Berkner Fellowships provide funding for early career scientists and students to present research at AGU-sponsored or co-sponsored meetings. The support includes registration fee, travel, accommodation, and daily expenses during the meeting.
Applications Open: 31 January 2014
Application Deadline : 9 April 2014 11:59 P.M. EDT
Official Announcement: 16 April 2014
Before applying, read the following requirements to determine if you are eligible for a Student Travel Grant.
- Current member of AGU.
- Demonstrated interest in science policy via coursework, publications, positions held or the like.
Eligibility for Berkner Fellowships is limited to AGU members under the age of 35 who are residents of countries designated by the World Bank as “low” or “lower-middle” income per capita.
To see a full listing of Berkner eligible countries, please click here.
- Applications must be complete to be considered.
- Recipients must comply with all rules regarding expenses and financial procedures, which will be communicated upon awarding of grants.
- Recipients provide proof that they have applied for their travel visa and any transit visas between 16 – 30 April 2014- before they are able to accept the offer of the fellowship. This may mean that you must be in your home country for the visa interview process.
- You must receive your visa by 1 June or your fellowship offer will be cancelled.
- Recipients are required to respond to a web-based post-meeting survey and submit a brief (‹300 words) report on the benefits of attending this meeting.
NOTE: The grants system does not accept your AGU member login; you will need to create a new account if you have not applied for an AGU grant previously.
Contact Grants@agu.org for customer service.
AGU would like to thank the corporate sponsors and the many AGU members and donors who support the Berkner Fellowship Fund.